People today have a problem differentiating between IT support and an IT solution. The reason for this confusion is that both services are customer help oriented. They provide the customer with help, support and solutions. Both services (IT Support and IT Solution) are very similar in many ways, but there is a difference between the two.
We will try and make a small differentiation between the two:
IT Support is also called Technical or Tech Support. This is a variation of services where IT Companies provide assistance and support to its clients with their IT department and IT equipment (computers, laptops, printers, internet modems, Fax machines, etc.)
When an IT company sells a product they usually provide full technical support for the product. Most of the time, this service is free, but sometimes customers pay a maintenance fee.
IT Support has four main points:
1. Solving a specific problem with a product (dealing with the problem)
2. Providing training (online training, or onsite training)
3. Customization of the product (allowing customer to upgrade or do changes on the product)
4. Other support services (allowing customer to apply for VIP service, be the first on the list if anything goes wrong with their product)
There are three types of IT Support:
1. Time and Material Support – this type of support is commonly used in the IT industry. The concept of this support is that customers pay for the material (broken or damaged parts) and time spent working on the product (technicians working time). This kind of service is done on the IT company premises.
2. Block Hours – this type of support is where customer purchase a block of hours upfront to pay a reduced hourly rate. The company and customer negotiate a discount rate and fixed number of hours to use for each month, or year. This kind of service is done through the phone or customer service of the company. Where a customer talks directly to the technician on the phone. Block Hours service is commonly used by customers like Hotels and Restaurants.
3. On-Site and 24/7 support – this type of service is given to customers by well defined IT companies. It’s a great service but can be pricy. This service includes two parts: On-Call technician, that can come On-Site to inspect and fix your product; and 24/7 Call service, where you can get through to the technician any time on the phone. Not every IT company can provide 24/7 telephone, online and On-Site support.
IT Solution is also known as Problem Solving.
This is the process where IT company can find a solution for the customer problem.
There is a three part diagnosis:
1. Problem Finding (Find actual problem)
2. Problem Shaping (Work on the problem and finalizing it)
3. Problem Solving (Find the solution and fix the problem
When the IT company deals with and fixes the problem, it issues an eminent answer or solutions to the customer, so the problem can be solved.
As we can see the two services are very similar, but have certain differences between them. IT support service is more technical and IT solution service is more personal.
Your IT company should be able to provide you with both services at any given time.